Why make your own iced tea?
- Taste - just like hot tea, iced tea from loose leaf tea just tastes fresher and better
- Variety - you can make iced tea out of just about ANY kind of tea - you are not constrained by just black tea or green tea. You can use herbal tea, rooibos tea, fruit teas, and flavored green and black teas too!
- Cost - it is cheaper to brew your own loose leaf tea than to buy it in a store or from Starbucks
How do I make it?
Making loose leaf iced tea is very simple. It is almost exactly the same as brewing hot tea, except that you want to use twice the amount of loose leaf tea for iced tea than you would for hot tea. That means if you make your green tea with 1 tsp / cup of tea, you would make iced tea with 2 tsp / cup of the same tea.
Once you have brewed your tea, let it sit out until it cools a little. If you ice or refrigerate it right away, it may become cloudy. This will not affect the taste, but if you are serving it to guests, you want it to look as nice as possible.
So to review, for the perfect cup of iced tea:
- Measure your loose leaf tea into an infuser. Use twice as much for iced tea than you would for hot tea.
- Add your hot/boiling water (depending on what is recommended for brewing that tea)
- Brew your tea for the same amount of time recommended for making hot tea.
- Remove the loose leaf tea when finished brewing, and let the brewed tea sit until cooled.
- Refrigerate until cold, add ice, and serve!
It is that simple! Once the tea has been brewed, you can flavor it to your own taste. You can add lemon, sugar (add sugar when the water is still warm), lemonade, fruit concentrates, anything that you can think of! Experiment to find your perfect iced tea, and when you find it, EMAIL IT TO US and we will publish it on a special iced tea recipe page, credited to you!