Whether you’re stepping into the morning’s hustle and bustle of the streets in Mumbai, waking up to the vendor’s call in a train on your way across the country, or relaxing on a terrace with your sweetie in the zen of your own living room, there’s nothing quite as soothing and intoxicating than a cup of Masala Chai.
Here Are 8 Facts You Need To Know About Masala Chai :
1. In India, being offered a cup of chai is about as common as being offered a glass of water or a beer here in North America.
2. Walking down the crowded streets, you can find men brewing up a massive steaming pot of chai with their surrounding brothers and cousins, and selling it for 5 Indian Rupees per tiny cup (which is equivalent to not even one cent in Canadian dollars).
3. Many families have their own Masala Chai recipes, but each one of them is just as delicious as the next. There are some traditional ingredients you can find in a cup of chai; first is a black tea, usually an Assam. Black tea is used so that the chai is not overpowered by the other spices and sweeteners added. The tea leaves are steeped in hot water long enough to extract their intense flavour, however not quite long enough for the bitter tannins to be released.
4. Adding milk and sweetener is very common, but both are optional.
5. The main ingredients in a solid Masala Chai may vary, however spices that may be added to the ginger and cardamom base include cinnamon, black pepper, fennel, and cloves. Part of the fun of drinking Masala Chai is that each cup doesn’t always taste the same!
6. How can the Masala Chai benefits make for a more healthy and glowing you? The spices used are known to have many Ayurvedic health benefits.
7. Ginger will improve your digestion and help protect you against cold and flu, as well as stimulate blood circulation and reduce cholesterol- which is great for your heart;
8. Cinnamon is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, as well as its ability to fight bad breath; cardamom improves digestion and is considered to be a kidney cleanser; and black pepper is a powerful antioxidant and great remedy for respiratory conditions. Masala chai benefits are endless.
If Masala Chai sounds delicious and healthy to you, try our Cha Cha Chai. This Chai is a rich black tea blended with a combination of South Indian spices creating an exotic, decadent, afternoon pick me up and energy boost.